manner

manner

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

40x40

years ago one of my favorite friends told eric (I love having friends that talk about me to my husband, by the way. it is like a whole extra layer of friendship: the friend they are to me and then the friend they are to eric. double the fun!) that I was a very "goal-oriented person." I love this turn of phrase and I toss it around whenever someone accuses me of a less-than-flattering character trait where "goal-oriented" can be substituted. I'm not bossy, I am "goal-oriented." it's not that I am competitive, I'm just very "goal-oriented." see how nicely that works? it is a resume-ready phrase and I love it.

so being that I am very goal-oriented, I've decided I need a big ol' list to be working from. and to keep my life interesting and to make birthdays with a zero at the end a little less scary, I've settled in on 40x40: forty things I want to do by the time I turn forty (june 5, 2020 for those of you keeping score at home). and because I am not only goal-oreineted but a sucker for an audience, (what is the nice turn of phrase for THAT?) I've decided to share most of that list here.

when I am forty, eric will be 42. jamin will be 12. cora will be 10. I will have been married for 14 years. other than that, I am taking suggestions. mostly I think it'll look a lot like these photos, only with taller children.





















so here is my list. I can't share everything on in because a girl has to keep some things just for herself. but here is most of it, all in no particular order.

1-get paid to write
2-get published by something people actually read
3-travel outside the US with my kids
4-learn the fiddle with jamin
5-have my own garden bed
6-backpack with eric
7-weekend with just my mom
8-weekend with just my dad
9-visit all fifty states (I only have the hard ones and the boring ones left)
10-create a piece of art I am willing to display in my home
11-write thank you notes to five people I have never met who have impacted my life
12-solo camping trip
13-learn to can
14-go a whole month without buying anything
15-ride a roller coaster with eric
16-sew something I am willing to wear in public
17-30 day bikram challenge
18-run up becky mountain
19-take a trip with just cora
20-take a trip with just jamin
21-get married again (to the same lucky guy, of course)
22-consolidate all of our photos and music
23-make photo albums for my kids
24-work with teenagers
25-blog every day for a month
26-get a really dramatic haircut
27-take a humanitarian service trip
28-work at a camp
29-take a silent retreat
30- bust out the trumpet
31-one month internet fast
32-build something useful
33-spend a week at john c. campbell folk school
34-10 day juice fast

you'll just have to guess on the last six.

there is a lot I want to say about each of these things, but I think I'll save it until I've checked them off the list or they are at least in progress. especially if I'm going to blog for a whole month. I'll need lots of fodder for that.

what have I missed? what else do I need to accomplish before my next decade birthday? what's on YOUR list?


2 comments:

  1. <3 this the most!!! Perhaps you'd let me get inspired by this to do one of my own? (See how much nicer 'inspired' sounds than 'stealing your great blog idea'? :) Any chance the Manners can come to Sunday dinner soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the term you are looking for is "HAM"
    Betsy Brown

    ReplyDelete