manner

manner

Thursday, April 2, 2015

throwback thursday: my 25

(remember when this happened all over Facebook eons ago? mega bonus points if you find your list and post it in the comments. hilarious to see what has changed and what hasn't. and if you've been waiting for the purple bucket, your prayers are soon to be answered!)




now that this is officially played out and untrendy, here's mine.

I have seven holes in my ears, but I only wear earrings in three of them, all in my left ear. my dad used to ask me if this made my head feel lopsided. it doesn't.

I hate being in bed with socks on. if you are in the bed with me, you can't wear socks either. this is a problem for eric because my feet are usually the temperature of ice cubes.

eric and I went to the same college all four years and never once met each other. I am thankful for this on a regular basis.

in high school I was adamant that I would die before thirty. now that that is pretty close, I hope I was a little off in my prediction.

I named my kid after a rapper, a musician I'd like to make out with, and a county in georgia. I am eager for him to appreciate all these things.

I have kept a journal consistently since I was 13, except for my senior year of high school. I don't know why I didn't write that year. chances are good that if you are reading this list, your name is in one of them.

I hate to drive. I have always hated to drive. I have a terrible sense of direction, sitting at stoplights makes me want to claw my own eyes out, and traffic is unacceptable to me. I hardly ever have to drive anymore, and I very much like my life this way. 

for those of you wondering about the shoes in the shower thing, I got over it.

I really like to read. in fact, as a consequence when I was little I was not allowed to read. I always felt rather noble when this punishment was issued, reading signs and billboards as we drove through town, knowing they could never really stop me from reading.

when I hear someone talking I read the words like a typewriter in my head. sometimes I see actions this way, too. I see numbers spelled out except years, addresses, and phone numbers. I do not know why this happens, but it is very important for me to know how people spell their names when I meet them so I am seeing the word correctly.

I know a lot of songs. jesus songs, old television jingles, songs from musicals, camp songs. mostly camp songs. I can entertain large groups of children for long periods of time because of this talent.

I do not open screwtop beers for myself, and I will not drink beer from a can. 

I love compost. I got worms as an anniversary gift one year. when we are settled somewhere enough to stay for a while, I'd really like my own pitchfork.

I love my birthday more than any other day in the year.

I like to think about introducing myself now to myself at other ages in my life. what would my twelve-year-old self say about who I am now? I can think about it for long stretches of time.

I have been a vegetarian for eight years. the reasons are different now, but I started because I really like making rules for myself. I just like self-imposed structure and tend to like it even more when I am feeling particularly out of control. that rule just happened to stick I guess.

I am pretty sure I was a mermaid in a former life. I dream about them a lot.

I do not have a tattoo simply because I am a gemini and cannot keep my mind made up about what to get permanently etched on my body.

my family moved a lot when I was little. because I was always the new kid at school, I had lots of talks with my mom about how you never know where you'll find your next friend and people's "best friend potential". I still find myself sizing everyone else to see how they might fit into my life: waiters and waitresses, people I buy things from on craigslist, the receptionist at the midwifery (hi, kelly!). sometimes it really pays off.

summer camp is the best thing that ever happened to me, hands down. 

I love to have my picture taken.

in high school I thought I hated to dance. I have since learned how very wrong I was.

someday I plan to own a bar called "the purple bucket". (say it out loud and try not to smile. it's tough.)

my parents used to tell us that cars do not work unless everyone is wearing a seatbelt. I believed them until I was probably twelve or so.

I cannot believe I just spent my thirty baby-free minutes making this list.

1 comment:

  1. haha had to dig mine up…so lame! lol but here goes! :)

    1. I grew up allergic to grapes-just like my grandfather...an allergy I have since grown out of (thank goodness b/c i love me a good cabernet!)

    2. I was proudly born and bred in Wilmington, North Carolina and wish I could visit more often.

    3. If I were on death row, pizza would be my last meal.

    4. I feel quite certain I have the best friends surrounding me in the entire word and am thankful for them everyday.

    5. As a member of my high school dance squad, I performed in the 1993 Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade (KIT CATS represent!).

    6. I am a total jokester (maybe to the point of annoyance for some)...a trait that I totally get from my brother (who is 37 going on 7).

    7. Karaoke, camping, bowling and seeing live music are some of my favorite things.

    8. I was an extra in the movie "Weekend at Bernie's" when I was in 6th grade with my best friend Mary Anita. Our moms let us skip school to do it and our teacher Mrs. Klein got really pissed off.

    9. I am a true people-pleaser and am terrified of failure.

    10. My husband and I both went to the same elementary, middle, and high schools, but never hung out until we were in college.

    11. I secretly long to be in a band.

    12. I learned to snow ski AND water ski at age 30 (who said getting older sucks?).

    13. My husband and I took 3 months and drove cross-country, which is one of the most amazing things we've ever done. First off, the good 'ole USA is one of the most beautiful places on this earth. And secondly, we were on The Price is Right with BOB BARKER...it doesn't get much better than that. I hope to own an RV one day and do it all again!

    14. I have always been fascinated by multiple births.

    15. I've been a vegetarian for over 10 years...(so it's not a phase).

    16. I hate to read...something that doesn't work too well in my career and something that I'm trying to improve upon.

    17. After we got married, my husband and I sold everything we owned and moved to Costa Rica for a year. I learned an awful lot from that experience and am glad we did it.

    18. I am an ex-smoker and have been smoke free for 5 years on February 11 (yes I know the exact date- I'm THAT proud).

    19. I love to travel. I would work my arse off in college and save to study abroad each summer. For me, traveling is like a drug I can't get enough of, and it's a passion my husband shares as well.

    20. My pet peeve(s) is(are) when people fail to abide by "DO UNTO OTHERS" or "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT", but not necessarily in that order.

    21. If I were to win the lottery, I would hire a live-in vegan chef and a personal trainer.

    22. I babysat for a living for about 12+/- years....which is probably why I don't have kids (even though I do consider having a husband and a crazy cat somewhat like having kids).

    23. My husband and I were married in an old Episcopal monastery in Barbados- the place where we fell in love 2 years earlier.

    24. Other than Wilmington, Clemson, SC is the place that I've lived the longest- 5+ years. It's been a great thing living here, although I was skeptical at first. Clemson has been good to us and I will always hold a special place in my heart for this little town....and GO TIGERS!

    25. I tend to pick myself apart, almost to the point of OCD. I am trying to quit being so negative about myself and embrace everything positive- because I deserve it!

    ReplyDelete