manner

manner

Thursday, February 27, 2014

throwback thursday: either of us

ten years ago? whole lifetimes have passed.


I can remember
waking up freezing
to wallpaper painted white and
a door that never quite
closed, your body curled away
from mine until I
stirred at which point you
reached out to reassure yourself in sleep
that you were not alone.
things were never really quiet
but you never seemed to notice
so I tried my best
to sleep and
never really succeeded
but I would lie and say I did
just like you'd lie and say you didn't.
I'm a different person now,
but I bet you sleep the same:
diagonal across the bed
covers wrapped tight enough to be a cocoon.
I can't believe I stayed that long
tracing patterns on the wall
with my finger
while you slept, one leg locked around my body,
sheets too tangled to benefit
either of us.

6 december 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment