manner

manner

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

may daze

here's what you need to know:

1. tomorrow begins gemini time. all the best people are geminis, and mudflower kicks it into celebration-mode tomorrow starting with rabbit's birthday. then eric's, then mine. rabbit and eric don't care much about birthdays, but I care enough for all three of us combined, I'd say. so it is a good thing my birthday comes third. more time for everyone to prepare.

aren't those the tidiest beds you've ever seen?
I heart my farmer.
2. saying that eric loves his job really just doesn't convey how happy he is these days, but I can't figure out a better way to say it. he gets out of bed without prompting every morning. that alone is a huge deal, but that he is out the door by seven most days is even huge-er. he is spending most of his time on the farm weeding right now, but I have not heard him complain even once. he comes home in a great mood every night, tired but happy. and so we are all happy. except cora who often moans to herself from a corner of the couch that she miiiiiiiiisssssses paaaaaaaaaaapa. but it could just be that she is four years old. I am sensing a lot of that about her lately.




3. on saturday two things happened to jamin within a thirty minute block, and one of them changed the way he sees the world; I just can't figure out which thing it was. first, he got a hair cut. a REAL haircut at a REAL haircut place that we actually PAID for. just after that we got a call from the director of our local hippie woo woo school saying that jamin was first on the waiting list for a spot in the first through third grade class there. so I told jamin he was probably going to school next year and he said, "okay." just like that: "okay." like we had not always had these huge meltdowns anytime anyone mentioned the possibility of him attending school at some distant future date. just "okay." and ever since saturday, we've got this even-keeled, helpful, too tall kid living in our house. maybe we should get his haircut more often.



4. we have too many chickens. there are 32 of them in various locations around our yard and that is about twelve too many. in their defense, however, they are the best babysitters we've ever had. jamin and cora love to go "check" on them, which usually involves singing to them and carrying them around and playing some game where they try to sort all the chicks into groups. they can play in the chicken pen for half an hour, easy, these days. lots of hand washing and lots of poop-covered shoes, but it is a pretty nice trade off.


5. we got a new car. don't feel a bit bad if you never notice though because it looks exactly like our old one. we now have twin honda fits (ignacio and penelope, in case you are keeping track), but eric prefers to refer to his as a pickup truck. I am now on the search for the perfect bumper sticker to distinguish myself in traffic. I'll let you know what we come up with.

6. our friend stevie will be here from ireland in only two weeks! he's visiting for almost month and we are totally pumped. we're putting together a brevard bucket list and are happy to take suggestions. and invitations. we want our irishman to get the full southern hospitality experience, so if you are having potluck or cookout in the month of june, be sure to put us on your list.

7. we also have bees now, and I don't know enough about them to really say much. eric and a neighbor friend have taken that project on. all I know is that he is hammering new frames in the kitchen right now which means I do not have to sleep with beehives in my bedroom anymore. (he's been keeping them in here until he had time to add them on. or something. I shouldn't pretend I know what I am talking about.) the adventure continues!




1 comment:

  1. well, i'll be. love those pretty beds, that jamin boy even more & what a hopeful way all around to walk into summertime. can i just say i am thrilled your staying in brevard land, i couldn't bare you leaving me again this summer. and YES we want to have your people over for some southern lovin'

    ReplyDelete