manner

manner

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

get in the picture and stay there

I have had a lot of great friends in my life.

throughout all the seasons of my life I have been fortunate enough to meet people willing to do super silly things with me. I have photo albums full of documentation of relationships and road trips, band geeks and camp kids, all sorts of ridiculous outfits (both intentional and unintentional). I love looking back and seeing my face pressed up against the cheek of someone else, both of us grinning as if having our picture taken together was reason enough to smile. high school musicals, marching band bus trips, camp costumes, residence life roll calls, it is all there in full glory. there are halloween parties from my early days with eric, backpacking trips to grand locales, photos of us at concerts and festivals. 

then we had kids. 

all of the sudden my photo-taking habits took a wild turn. there were lots of moments to capture, most of which didn't really require me to be in front of the lens, but behind it. and there is a lot that is okay about that. there's also a lot that needs to be changed about that. mamas and papas need to be in the picture, maybe especially mamas. we are the record keepers, the family photographers, the one there to witness these magical moments and pass them on to the world at large. a year ago there was a fabulous article on why moms should stay in the picture. the responses are as moving as the original article. powerful stuff, all around. 

it is important for parents to be in the picture. it is important for our kids to have a record of our history, important for our families to have a feeling of togetherness, important for parents to feel valuable and worthy of being in the picture.

but here's the thing: I don't want to just chronicle my role in my children's childhood. there is a lot I have given up in being my kids' mom. I changed my last name, I lost a lot of free time, I learned to redefine myself based on my relationships in my family ("oh, you're jamin and cora's mom!"). and while those things are choices I am glad to make to be in this place in my life, there are a lot of other things that fell by the wayside as well that I am not convinced are good or necessary life shifts. I still have incredible friends. really really great ones. and there may not be as many backpacking trips and cool concerts on my calendar these days, but I still do a lot of fun stuff in some pretty amazing locales. my new challenge to myself is to document my life (not just my children's) with vigor and enthusiasm.

so I am going to be taking pictures with my friends. I am going to press my check right up next to yours and grin because you make my life a better place. and I don't want to hear how I can't take your picture because your hair isn't right or you are wearing your "fat jeans." we are out of time on the excuses. I've missed too much already. I realized at the end of last summer that I don't have photos of myself with any of my favorite kids from camp this year. I have photos with them and my children, but none of me standing proudly next to people that changed my life in the eight weeks I knew them. and my best mama friend? the one I have raised my children with, cried on her couch countless times, called in emergency "I need a beer on your back porch right now" situations? we took our first photos together last week. 



so get in the picture. yes, take tons of pictures of you with your kids, but do yourself one better than that. let your kids take pictures of you and don't delete them all. we are going to be so glad to look back on our dark hair and youthful faces one day. hula hoop on your deck and make your husband take photos of you laughing because it is not as easy as it used to be. hold up your dirty hands in the garden and wiggle your fingers at the camera. take a damn selfie or seven; goodness knows everyone else on the internet is doing it. but be here, be all the way here, and pull a friend into the frame, too. our kids deserve to know all the best parts of our lives, including the parts that are not all about them. teach them how to be a friend by taking a photo with one of yours. teach them how to love themselves by saving that goofy shot of you in a bathing suit. and smile, big bigger biggest, every chance you get. you never know when I might be taking your picture, friends.


I am thrilled (THRILLED!) to be partnering up with kaelee beeson of kaelee denise photography to be offering a giveaway to one of you lucky, lucky folks! head on over to kaelee denise's facebook page and give her the big thumbs up ("like" kaelee denise photography), then leave a comment on this here blog letting us know what you plan to do to get in the picture and stay there. one lucky commenter (who is also a fan of kaelee denise photography) will win a mini-session for you and a friend with kaelee AND a gift card to hobnob here in brevard, so you and a friend can have a fancy night out on the town! can you even believe all that awesome-ness could happen? 

we'll choose our winner monday, april 28, 2014 FRIDAY, MAY 2, 2014, so leave your comment below, make sure to go like kaelee's facebook page, and share this post with other folks who deserve a photo shoot and a night out! and then get busy grabbing a friend and getting in the picture together!


41 comments:

  1. The Jaquez family in Cary, NC loves KaeLee Denise Photography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. road trip to claim your prize would just be part of the adventure! :)

      Delete
  2. Well what a snazzy idea! Sign me up to be in the drawing. I think I start doing more asking of my big kids to take a picture of me with the others

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome! you may having a budding photographer in your midst. goodness knows they have an awesome role model in james! :)

      Delete
  3. When can I teach Sterling to use the camera?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, she'll be using your iphone before you know it! :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the chance at a great giveaway and the reminder to just make it happen and leave your kids lots of photo memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I win, Kaelee will have to get up early and shoot me and my loyal best-ever friend, Elizabeth Bahnson as we run around town (or over Burrell Mountain) at break of dawn. We have solved so many problems during those shared miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. being so very dedicated to her craft, I feel sure kaelee is up to the challenge! go, running girls, go!

      Delete
  6. This was a wonderful reminder to get in the photo with friends and family. Thank you! I have shared with several of my mommy friends who have been inspired to get in the photo instead of behind the camera. Would love a photo shoot to share with my wonderful friends and remind us of days gone past. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome! thanks so much for passing it along! :)

      Delete
  7. I tried to comment from my phone and am not sure if it worked so trying again. I think this is an amazing idea. Would love to win this! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, you are definitely in now! thanks for trying again :)

      Delete
  8. What a great idea - sign me up!
    I am so excited that so many of my old friends now have kids of their own and we spend all this energy making sure our kids become friends too. I want to make sure I don't forget the old and wonderful times we had together before kids and we'll be making sure we stop just photographing our kids and document our old original friendship too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing Wendy! I have a passion for photography and had been diligent about breaking out our mini tripod for group shots...until December when I became an iPhone owner. I'm looking forward to finding it and capturing more moments with our friends to share our seasons together. This is quite a duo : ) I've been a fan of Kaelee's work and Hob Knob for sure. This is a wonderful gift for someone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooo, love the seasons reference, marney! glad you are up to the challenge! :)

      Delete
  10. Guess it's time to start making memories.... Love the way you bring community together Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought my name would appear, but instead my blogger name did, this is Rabbit :)

      Delete
    2. thanks for the kind words, leapingdreamingrabbit. guess who's about to have another new nickname? :)

      Delete
  11. from Sara McDorman Baker: I had trouble commenting on the blog. Love this opportunity! As a child (and adult!) I loved looking back at pictures of my mother in different stages of her life. Can't wait to pass on this joy to my kiddo. And who doesn't love time spent with a good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. from Marty Ingram: This is so true for me too! Okay - step 1: carry my camera. Step 2: schedule some face time. Step 3: have fun. Thanks, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. from Anastasia Dill: Sign me up wendy. i cant do it on my phone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. from Carrie Prado: Can u enter me friend? It would be nice to win but the best prize is reading about those manner babies

    ReplyDelete
  15. from Lynda Scheel Hicks: I would love time in the mountains and getting a Manner fix! Put me in the fishbowl before the drawing, please!

    ReplyDelete
  16. from Megan Schneider: All my witty is gone for the day. But never fear- i'll get in the picture/with the program/on the bus/off the wagon ?? And stay there darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful idea.. I have so many pictures of the kids, and hardly any of myself. And it would be nice to have my best friend, my husband, in some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your article Wendy! You helped me shift my perspective big time! Yes, I am the one who was thrilled to finally get a camera that I could actually operate, so went nuts taking tons of everyone else's pictures. I will hand the camera over to someone and say "yes please" to being included in the picture with my friends and family! Thank you for making me feel how important it is for me to be in the picture, even if I don't think that I am photogenic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. from Amy Fisher: Love the idea! I have captured every single day of my daughter's life - she is 18 months old now . Most days, I shamelessly take a selfie of the two of us in hopes that one day she will look back and know that I loved her more than anything. Every smile, laugh, wild hair days, and ordinary moments that peppered our lives have made them special! I regularly also take a family selfie of the three of us too. My husband does not even have a camera, so if there is going to be a photo, I take it. I would love to have some nice family shots where the camera is more than an arms length away! Thanks for the idea and for sharing your amazing blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. from Nancy E Richards: I want to enter too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. from Kimberly Leach Burge: Hmmmm...doesn't seem to want to let me comment mobile-like. I'll see if I can find time to try on the computer tomorrow. Thanks for doing this, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cool. I would love a photo session!

    ReplyDelete
  23. from Kari Brayman: I also had trouble entering, I'd love this, thanks for honoring the mamas!

    ReplyDelete
  24. from April May: Hmmm, I posted as well but don't see it. Thanks Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a great reminder to love our "self-ies." Thanks Wendy! Rion and I have liked Kaelee Denise's FB page for some time, talented lady! We would love to be in the drawing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Heather Layton by the way, Wandering Dove apparently is my Google name. I don't remember how this came to be, but it was a nickname I did have in college.

      Delete
  26. My "camera shyness" is often a hidden form of pride & fear of what others will think of me. Thanks for the challenge to break free for our children!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My "camera shyness" is often a hidden form of pride & fear of what others will think of me. Thanks for the challenge to break free for our children!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My "camera shyness" is often a hidden form of pride & fear of what others will think of me. Thanks for the challenge to break free for our children!

    ReplyDelete