manner

manner

Thursday, January 16, 2014

throwback thursday

I am trying to make myself write more, share more, get more feedback on my writing, etc etc etc. I am taking a writing class (thanks to some heavy nudging from a friend who knows me all too well) and trying to post more often here, just to build good habits and get stuff out there. I've been keeping a journal since I was 13, so I have a whole shelf full of old material to pull from, most of which should probably never see the light of day. but some of it has some worth I think, and it is a good reminder of where I've been and where I am now or something like that.

so here is a space for some old school goodies, things eric loves to hear me read out loud and that are not too embarrassing to throw out to the universe. this one is from my 23-year-old self.



this is the life I have made
this combination of comings and goings
with an apartment I rarely see inside
and beer for breakfast most mornings
just to jump start the day into motion
when nutrition is so far from my mind.
the balance of bad and worse
strung together with the measure
of time passing makes for
moments measured in teaspoons of tears
rather than split second short comings.
I can hear rumbles in the distance;
be it school buses or thunderstorms,
or my own stomach calling for more
it is only a distraction from the task at hand
and this simply will not do. so now I will wake up from dreams
I cannot remember into a reality I
cannot forget where time is well spent,
invested in fact, and each day a reminder
of not looking back.

18 november 2003

1 comment: